A tropical flower, also known as a tropical bloom or blossom, is the reproductive structure found in flowering plants. These species of flowering plants are native to the tropics and are known as tropical plants.
A tropical flower is a beautiful creation that thrives naturally in sunny, warm, wet, humid, tropical regions located near or around the equator. A tropical flower creates an exotic and relaxing atmosphere in areas of the world where it is warm year-round.
Tropical flowers are grown in abundance in exotic destinations. They represent luxury and beauty. They always remain symbols of the tropics, perfection of nature, and good mood.
Architecturally alluring tropical flowers come in a variety of different species, colours, shapes, and sizes. All of them are beautiful, extraordinary, delicate and little mysterious. These stunning tropical flowers have a wonderful fragrance as well.
Tropical flowers are used in many ways and for many different reasons. It is very common to use them for special occasions such as wedding, Valentine’s day, Mother’s day, anniversaries, and birthdays. Also people use them just to brighten someone’s day. And tropical flowers with nice scents are used to make perfumes.
List of popular flower names includes: Orchids, Proteas, Birds of paradise, Anthuriums, Plumeria, Datura, Dendrobiums, Heliconia, Calla lily, Lotus, Hibiscus, Ginger flower, Magnolia, and Costus.
In the United States, stunning tropical flowers grow naturally only in the Southern parts. They thrive in Florida and Hawaii but can be cultivated on flower farms throughout warm states of the United States. In other areas, they can be grown in containers or as house plants all year. Here on this gardening website, you can learn more about the unique world of tropical flowers.
Plumeria flowers are the most common flowers to be found in Hawaii. The Plumeria flower is often used in leis, and it is very recognizable for visitors to Hawaii.
The Plumeria flower has from 3 to 4 inches across, waxy, heavy textured, curled petals in a star formation. The petals are teardrop-shaped, widely separated, and tipped back. The plumeria flowers are generally white and large yellow centered, but sometimes they are multi-colored. These magnificent tropical flowers also may be cream, yellow, pink, red, and multiple pastels. The beautiful tropical flowers have a gentle and sweet fragrance. They are most fragrant at night.
Plumeria blooms in spring and through all the summer months producing new blooms every day.
This magnificent tropical flower is native to warm tropical areas of Mexico, Venezuela, the Pacific Islands, the Caribbean, and Central America. In the United States, the Plumeria flower is grown abundantly in Hawaii and Florida.
Originally Plumeria flowers were used by people as ornamental at funerals and cemeteries. Today Plumeria is grown as an ornamental around the world. In cold climates, the flowering plant can be grown indoors.
- The beauty and delicacy of these tropical flowers have made them one of the most popular flowers among florists and customers.
- This tropical flower is the most commonly used Hawaiian wedding and beach party flower. Residents of Hawaii use plumeria leis for popular occasions such as birthdays, graduations, weddings, funerals, retirement parties, and bridal showers.
- Plumeria flowers are also widely used for making scents and perfumes. The substances released by this tropical flower are used as the main ingredients in lotions and creams.
- Additionally, the beautiful blooms are used in art, jewelry, and decorations.
Also getting a plumeria tattoo is very popular these days among tattoo enthusiasts.
In different cultures, the Plumeria flower has different meanings. Generally, the Plumeria flower symbolizes life, the arrival of spring, timeless beauty, and re-creationg of the nature. The plumeria tattoo symbolizes warmth, friendship, and love.
The Magnolia flower is a tropical flower of the flowering plant Magnolia. The tropical plant comes in a variety of species and produces large, fragrant flowers. Magnolias are among the most primitive of flowering plants. The Magnolia flower is the official state flower of Mississippi and Louisiana states of the U.S.
The Magnolia flowers grow at the end of a Magnolia tree’s branches. These tropical flowers do not have true petals and sepals but are composed of structures called tepals. The Magnolia flowers range in color, they may be showy white, pink, yellow, green, and purple. They also vary in size depending on the Magnolia flowering plant. The Magnolia flower can be 8 to 10 inches across.
This tropical flower has an especially rich pleasant fragrance. Magnolia flowers do not yield true nectar; instead of they give pollen in big quantities that attracts pollinating beetles.
Springtime and summer is the best time for blooming these tropical flowers.
This flowering plant is native to North America, Central America, South America, and to east and southeast Asia. The Magnolia flower is abundance in the Southern United States.
- The Magnolia flowers are often used in flower arrangements for weddings. Magnolia flower arrangements are very beautiful and sumptuous.
- The Magnolia flowering plants are often used for decorative ornamental purposes for landscaping, and grown for the beauty of their attractive flowers.
- The splendid Magnolia flower can be a great addition to any type of landscape or garden. It will give colorful look to any place.
The Magnolia flower is a truly beautiful tropical flower. Over the years the Magnolia flower has become a symbol of feminine sweetness, dignity, nobility, and splendid beauty. This tropical flower also symbolizes sweetness and a love for nature.
The Hibiscus plant is an ornamental, flowering plant that commonly grows in tropical and subtropical regions around the globe. It belongs to the Malvaceae family. There are about 200 species of Hibiscus are known to exist. Generally, this popular tropical plant features large, brightly colored, crepe-paper-like flowers. The Hibiscus flower is Hawaii’s state flower.
The Hibiscus flower is a large, conspicuous tropical flower that shaped like a trumpet. It has five or more petals. This tropical flower comes in bright and vibrant colors. It may be white, yellow, orange, pink, red, or purple.
These tropical flowers bloom in late July or early August. They repeatedly bloom throughout the season.
The exact origin of these flowering plants is unknown.
Hibiscus tropical plants have multiple uses:
- Hibiscus flowers can be used for decoration, for paper, and as a food product.
- Many people used this tropical flower as an ingredient for sauces, curries, and chutney.
- The Hibiscus flower can be used in yougurts, ice creams, jellies, cakes, and tarts. These tropical flowers have a lovely, tart citrus taste.
- They make great tea and tonic that is naturally high in vitamins, minerals, laxative, and antioxidants. Hibiscus tea is popular in cocktails in the Caribbean.
- In China, Hibiscus is used as a coffee substitute.
- Additionally, Hibiscus flowers have many medicinal uses. These tropical flowers can improve digestion, lower high blood pressure, enchance the liver function and regularize the menstrual cycle.
- They also have a reputation for a calming and cooling affect on the body. The Hibiscus flower also is used in many diet formulas.
- The chemicals in Hibiscus flowers are used to stimulate hair growth and to prevent premature graying, hair loss, and scalp disorders.
- The natural oil in the Hibiscus flower acts as a good conditioner.
- This tropical flower can be used as a natural dye for hair.
- In Jamaica and some African countries this tropical flower is used to polish shows.
They are widely grown for their showy large flowers and used as landscape shrubs. These flowering plants also can be grown indoors.
This tropical flower is one of the most beautiful creations of nature. The Hibiscus flower symbolizes and stands for delicate and fragile beauty.
Cosmos is a genus of about 26 species of flowering plants of the family Asteraceae. Cosmos flowers are one of the most popular of all flowers grown in the United States. They are related to Daisies and Sunflowers. The Cosmos flowers are bold and beautiful.
Flower color range between the different species. Cosmos flowers may be white, pink, orange, yellow, red, purple, and maroon. All of them have a bright yellow center. The tropical flowers have a light vanilin fragrance.
The Cosmos flower is produced in a capitulum that surrounded by a ring of broad ray florets and a center of disc florets. The Cosmos flower buds grow between 2 and 4 inches in diameter.
These tropical flowers bloom in clusters from mid-summer until fall.
Cosmos flowers are native to Central America and South America (Mexico, Paraguay). In the United States in wild they grow in Florida and Arizona.
- These tropical flowers are a popular choice for gardeners. They are bright, beautiful, and colorful. Cosmos flowers are an amazing addition to any garden.
- They are also great cut flowers and are often used in floral arrangements. These tropical flowers make a good gift for different types of occasions. They are ideal flowers on Mother’s Day and Valentine’s day.
Cosmos is a Greek word meaning orderly, beautiful, harmonious, or balanced universe. To Victorians, the cosmos were used to signify modesty.
The Cosmos flower got its name from the Spanish priests who grew Cosmos flower in their mission gardens in Mexico. The evenly placed petals led them to christen the flower with the name it is now known by.
The Cosmos flower is associated with the 2nd wedding anniversary.
Calla Lily Flower
The Calla Lily flower is one of the most stunning tropical flowers with a unique form of the flower. It belongs to the Arum family, Araceae. These tropical flowers come in a variety of sizes and colors. They may be snowy white, cream, yellow, orange, pink, lavender, rose, green, burgundy, purple or black.
For centuries the Calla Lily flower has been the muse of artists. Today the Calla Lily is prized for its simply beautiful and very elegant flowers. They are one of the most popular flowers on the market.
The Calla Lily has a solitary, large, trumpet-shaped bloom that sits upon a long, thick stem. The Calla Lily flower has a very clean and classic shape. This tropical flower itself is 5-8 inches long and has a single thick and waxy petal. It consists of a spathe and a spadix. The spathe is a large, flaring bract, encircles the spadix. The spadix is small and arises from the center of the spathe.
Calla Lily flowers usually bloom in the late spring and early summer but it varies depending on the type of flowering plant.
These tropical flowers are native to Southern Africa, where they grow abundantly in marshy areas. They are also grown in numerous areas of the world.
- The Calla Lily flower makes a perfect gift as a cut flower or a container plant. It looks sophisticated, graceful, and modern.
- The Calla Lily flower looks lovely in floral arrangement. It is often arranged in wedding bouquets and is popular among brides.
- The Calla Lily flower is also used as a table centerpiece and is very popular with contemporary interior designers.
Calla means beautiful in the Greek language, and the symbolic meaning associated with the Calla lily is magnificent beauty. The Calla Lily often plays the role of a traditional lily by symbolizing purity, sympathy, or appreciation. Also, this gorgeous tropical flower symbolizes marriage.
The Anthurium plant is one of the largest groups in the Araceae genus. There are more than 800 species of Anthurium found in the world. The Anthurium plant is known for elegant and beautiful spathe-and-spadix flowers.
The Anthurium flower, commonly called the Flamingo Flower, Boy Flower, and Tail flower is a classic tropical flower. It has a magnificent shape and a wide range of sizes and colors. The Anthurium flower comes in red, orange, green, purple, white, ivory, peach, pink, and brown.
Anthurium flowers are attached to long, slender, leafless stems and tower about large smooth leaves. Anthurium flowers have a broad, waxy, plastic-looking, heart-shaped spathe (the colored ornamental part of the tropical flower) and a long, erect spadix, emerging from the center of the spathe. The flaring tropical flowers come in lots of different shapes. Some Anthurium flowers are heart-shaped and others in almost a tear drop shape. Some are cupped, and some are flat.
Anthurium flowers bloom from spring till fall.
These tropical flowers are native to areas such as Uruguay, Argentina, and Mexico but they bloom in many tropical areas throughout the world. In wild, they grow in wet tropical rainforests.
- These tropical plants are often grown as ornamentals for their showy, glossy, often red spathes. They make a strong statement wherever they appear.
- The Anthurium flowers are excellent for interiors and can be grown as indoor plants.
- They are also great as cut flowers and make a great addition to flower arrangements. They are irresistibly beautiful and long-lasting. They can last for months as long as you keep the stems in freshwater.
The genus name, Anthurium, comes from the Greek words anthos meaning “flower,” and oura, meaning “tail.” The Anthurium flower means hospitality. It also symbolizes happiness and abundance. The Anthurium flower has become a symbol commonly associated with Hawaii.
Protea is the botanical name and the common name of a genus of flowering plants, which is in the Proteaceae family. It is an ancient family, one of the oldest groups of flowering plants. Protea are the world’s most unusual flowers. They come in over 1400 different varieties and in a diversity of shapes and colors. Protea flower may be white, pink, yellow, coral, deep crimson, or dark reds. The striking tropical flowers are known for their unusual structure completely inlike anything elkse in the flower world.
This majestic tropical plant has distinguished flowerheads with a collection of many small flowers in the centre, surrounded by large colorful bracts (modified leaves), at the end of long, woody stems. The flowerheads vary in size, from about 3 to 6 inches in width. The large Protea tropical plants produce 6 to 10 flowerheads in one season, although some can produce up to 40 flowerheads on one plant. The flowerheads of this exotic tropical plant has no fragrant smell.
Protea flowers may bloom all year around but most of proteas bloom from fall through spring at least two months. The best time of the year to see Protea flowers in late fall-witer.
Protea flowers are native to South Africa where it grows along hillsides and throughout mountais. In the United States, they are commercially grown in California and Hawaii.
- These tropical flowers are great ornamentals. They are perfect for any occasion. Protea make great wedding flowers. They are long-lasting and very beautiful.
- They dry into beautiful flower arrangements that can be unique decorations for the home or office.
- Protea makes a dramatic focal point in floral designs. Also, these tropical flowers provide food for wildlife.
The unusual tropical flower is names after the God, Proteus, the God of transformation or Change because proteas change in appearance from bud to dried. The Protea flower symbolizes diversity and courage.
The Orchid flower belongs to the largest flower family, Orchidaceae. There are nearly 30000 species of orchids worldwide.These tropical flowers are the most costly flowers in the world. They are valued for their beautiful blossoms and longer lasting.
The Orchid flower is an exotic, delicate and graceful tropical flower. It comes in different sizes and shapes. The basic Orchid flower has three sepals in the outer whorl, and three petals in the inner whorl. The colors are vivid and come in white, yellow, blue, purple, pink, and red including different shades.
This tropical flower has a sweet or foul fragrance. Orchid flowers can smell like chocolate, curry, and cinnamom. Some orchid flowers have fruity fragrance.
Some tropical flowers bloom once a year, others bloom several times a year; some bloom continuously.
Orchid flowers grow pretty much everywhere on the planet except Antarctica. Most of orchids grow in the tropics. Orchid flowers grow at different elevations. There are two types of these flowering plants: terrestrial orchids and epiphytes. Terrestrial orchids grow on the ground and epiphytes grow on the trunks, branches of trees, and rocks.
- Most of orchid species are used as decoration.
- The beauty of Orchids flowers have made them a popular gift for various occasions as a low-maintenance indoor plant and as fresh, cut flowers.
- Dried tropical flowers are used in dried arrangements for decorative purposes.
- Some of orchid species, such as the Vanilla orchids, used for food and cosmetic purposes. Fragrant oils obtained from vanilla orchids flowers are used for making perfumes and in aromatherapy.
- During the Middle Ages these tropical flowers were used as aphrodisiacs and in herbal remedies.
For many centrues, graceful tropical flowers have been a symbol of love, luxury perfection, and beauty. To the early Greeks, the Orchid flower represented virtility.
In 1856, the first man-made orchid flower was cultivated. Today most popular orchids are hybrid species. Orchid flowers have become the most beautiful, the most tropical, the most exotic, and the most costly flowers in the world.
The Jasmine is a handsome flowering plant of the genus Jasminum of the family Oleacear (Olive family) that grows in the warmest places in the world. Jasmine is a member of about 200 species of shrubs and climbing vines. The Jasmine plant produces little waxy-white or yellow flowers that are known for their wonderful rich aroma.
The Jasmine flower has five or six lobes. Its size is about 1 inch. This tropical flower has a rich, sweet, and clean scent.
Sweetly fragrant Jasmine flowers bloom in summer or spring. At night the scent of these tropical flowers is more prevalent.
The Jasmine flower is native to warm Asia, Europe, Australia, and Africa.
- The Jasmine flower has many uses:
- This tropical flower is widely cultivated as an ornamental, house plant, or cut flower.
- In Hawaii they use the Jasmine flower in leis.
- Also, these tropical flowers are used to make garlands.
- Many Indian women wear garlands of Jasmine flowers in their hair.
- The sweet-smelling flowers are used for making perfumes and incense. Jasmine incense is used to balance male and female hormones.
- Dried Jasmine flowers are used to flavor Jasmine tea and other herbal or black tea.
- From Jasmine flowers, it is extracted the well-known and highly expensive oil that is used in creams, shampoos, and soaps. It is considered to be a great skin toner and conditioner.
- It is also used as an aphrodisiac, brain stimulant, calming, restoring balance and confidence, anti-depressive, and soothes headaches.
- The daily consumption of Jasmine tea is effective in preventing certain cancers.
- Jasmine flowers are a gentle remedy for inflammation.
Jasmine flowers are symbols of sensuality, love, life, happiness, and hope. In India Jasmine flowers symbolize divine hope. These tropical flowers have become part of rituals and every merry occasion. In Thailand, Jasmine flowers are used as a symbol of the mother. In Indonesia these elegant flowers represent purify, eternal life, nobility, and the beauty of a girl. In China Jasmine flowers are used as a symbol of feminine sweetness and beauty.
The Ginger flower makes the list of incredibly unique flowers. It is a tropical flower belonging to flowering plants of the Ginger family (Zingiberaceae). There are many varieties of ornamental Ginger flowers. The Red Ginger, also known as the Ostrich Plume and pink Cone Ginger, is one of the most popular and can be found in colors from light pinks to deep reds.
Dramatic Ginger flowers are considered to be highly prized tropical flowers.
The Ginger flower is a plastic-looking flower with a distinctive pineapple-shaped structure. It consists of small white or yellow flowers surrounded by tightly arranged brightly colored red bracts which have thorns on the tips.
Ginger flowers bloom year-round in red, white, pink, and yellow.
The spectacular tropical flowers are native to warm and tropical regions of South Asia and Australia. Ginger flowers are common in the tropical island environment.
Ginger flowers are used in a variety of ways:
- They are commonly used as cut flowers and in the leis.
- They can be found in many tropical flower arrangements.
- Ginger flowers may be a beautiful addition to any tropical garden.
- They also can be grown in pots in areas with colder winters.
- These tropical flowers enhance any environment or room decor.
- Some of the sweet-smelling essential oils found in fragrant white or yellow Ginger flowers are also used in perfumes, soaps, and lotions.
- Depending on the type of Ginger flower used, the scent can range from a spicy, earthy smell, to a more delicate floral odor.
The Ginger flower is a symbol of strenght.
Canna Lily Flower
The Canna lily is one of the most beautiful tropical flowers. It belongs to the genus Canna, the family Cannaceae. It is related to bananas and ginger plants. There are many different types of Canna Lilies. They come in a rainbow of shades from yellows, oranges, reds, and pinks. The tropical flowers grow in many different sizes.
These days the Canna Lily is grown all over the world and prized for its large, colorful, showy flowers.
These tropical flowers grow out of the stem as a long narrow roll, then unfurl. Canna Lily flower’s petals are not true petals but modified stamens and pistils, the reproductive organs. Canna Lily attracts butterflies and hummingbirds.
These tropical flowers bloom from summer into fall.
The Canna Lily is native to tropical Central and South America, but it is found in all tropical areas. The Canna Lily grows along streams, springs, and ditches.
- The Canna Lily is very popular as a garden flowering plant. It will grow almost anywhere, as a perennial in the South and a summer flowering plant in the North. It will look great along fences and walls.
- Also, Canna Lily can be grown indoors. This gorgeous tropical flower will be a wonderful addition to any home decor.
- The Canna Lily is also a staple food source for many people around the world.
The Canna Lily is a symbol of “Confide in Heaven”. Also, this tropical flower symbolizes beauty and woman love.
Bird of Paradise
Bird of paradise is a bold, architectural flowering plant of the family Strelitziaceae closely related to the bananas. This tropical plant holds many long-stemmed flowers.
The bird of paradise flower, also known as the Crane Flower is one of the most colorful tropical flowers in the world. The name Bird of paradise comes from the flower shape which resembles an exotic bird in flight.
Originally, these tropical flowers were quite expensive. Now you can enjoy the natural beauty and incredible colors of the spectacular tropical flowers at a very affordable price.
Bird of paradise flower is a distinctive and striking tropical flower. It comes upon a tall, green stem that is called a pedicle. This tropical flower emerges from green bract, shaped like a canoe, with red borders. Bird of paradise flower has 3 yellow sepals and 3 deep purple petals.
Bird of paradise tropical plant blooms all year long.
Blue of paradise tropical flowers are native to South Africa where they are called crane flowers as they resemble the heads of the crowned crane.
- Bird of paradise flowers are widely cultivated in warm temperate and tropical regions as ornamental. In the United States, the Bird of paradise is a popular landscape plant in Florida and California.
- They are also sold as florists cut flowers. In North America these tropical flowers are grown commercially in California and Hawaii.
- In colder climates bird-like flowers can be grown in containers in the home and in the green house.
Bird of paradise flowers are a popular symbol of paradise. These tropical flowers also symbolize freedom, magnificence, and good perspective.
When they are given as a gift, they represent faithfulness.
This flower is actually a relative of leeks and onions. And it is considered to be a pretty large plant genus s it includes more than 1200 species. The other names for these flowers are Ornamental onion and Flowering onion.
You can recognize Allium by their special onion smell because it produces some chemical compounds similar to garlic and onion. Interesting to know that it can be good protection from animals like rabbits and squirrels. The colors of flowering Allium are purple, pink, yellow, blue, and white.
These ball-shaped tropical flowers bloom in a rainbow of colors in late spring or mid-summer.
The Allium flower occurs in temperate climates of the northern hemisphere, mainly in Asia. Some species occur in Chile, Brazil, and tropical Africa.
- Allium flowers are used both for culinary and ornamental purposes. They have good ornamental value.
- Allium flowers are excellent border flowers. Due to their dramatic colors and the globular shape, they make a nice show in the garden.
- They also make great-cut flowers.
- Additionally, these tropical flowers heads can be used as a garnish for soups and salads.
This flower is considered to be a symbol of humility, patience, and unity. The Allium flower also symbolizes good fortune and prosperity.